What is Climate Controlled storage and do I need it?
Climate control maintains a steady temperature inside the storage unit just as your home air conditioning. The enclosed environment of the climate controlled self-storage buildings at Storage Time Conyers, Georgia can also provide increased protection from dust and dirt, as climate controlled self-storage units are typically cleaner than standard self-storage units. In comparison, a standard self-storage unit would be comparable to storing items in your garage where a climate controlled self-storage unit would be comparable to storing items in a room of your house. Maintaining a controlled environment also helps prevent rust and corrosion; warping; mold and mildew. Generally, the temperature in a climate controlled storage unit should not fall below freezing in the winter, or rise above 90 degrees in the summer. In Conyers, there is no escape from the hot temperatures and humidity in the summer so this is a concern when storing your personal belongings. Climate control storage units cost more than standard self-storage units. To determine whether the cost of climate controlled self-storage is justified, it is important to assess the value of what you plan to store. If the items you plan to store have sentimental or historical value the additional cost may be insignificant.
Items typically stored in climate controlled self-storage units include:
- Electronics such as computers, audio/video equipment, TV’s, cameras, etc. In addition, CD’s, DVD’s can be damaged from hot humid temperatures.
- Photos when exposed to hot humid temperatures will curl, yellow and damage the finish of your photos. This also includes any important documents you may be storing.
- Antiques that can suffer damage if not protected from the elements.
- Leather and wood furnishings can crack, warp and become damaged from exposure to heat and humidity.
- Musical Instruments are typically stored in climate-controlled units.
- Clothing is best stored in climate controlled units to prevent mildew.
- Mattresses should be stored in a mattress bag in a climate-controlled unit to prevent mildew and dust.
Whether you determine you need a climate controlled self-storage unit or a standard self-storage unit, Storage Time Conyers has a self-storage unit to fit your storage needs.